Water Wheeler Electric ASL 5 Person Pedal Boat with Canopy
Water Wheeler Electric ASL 5 Person Pedal Boat with Canopy is a small electric pedal boat suitable for short fishing trips few hundreds meters off the shore, during calm weather. It can be manually powered or powered using built-in small Minn-Kota trolling motor.
Water Wheeler ASL Electric Pedal Boat - Features and Specifications
This lightweight pedal boat can be used for various purposes, fishing included. If you think that it is too small and fragile for such fishing, you have never seen big game fishing from kayaks, right? :)
Features and specifications:
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 91x64x24 inches (230x162x61 cm). Boat is catamaran - two hull design - and it is very stable on water, even when an adult stands on one side. Of course, some balancing is required in such situations.
- Weight: 130 pounds (59kg). Boat is not heavy - two adults can easily manipulate with it. Btw, this is the boat's weight without a trolling battery.
- Capacity: 800 pounds (cca 360kg) - some sources say it's capacity is 5 persons (3 adults and 2 kids), but if you are going for fishing, two persons and maybe a kid is more than enough. Don't forget gear, food, water, drinks and in the end, caught fish! :)
- Deck and hull are made from strong and durable UV-stabilized High Density Polyethylene (HDPE).
- Bronze bushings are oil impregnated with rubber seals and are more or less, maintenance free - after being on water, be sure to wash boat with fresh water.
- Closed cell polystyrene foam flotation guarantee buoyancy even in heavy weather and water all over. However, edge seal could be better, so before going on the water for the first time, seal it properly. Even if you don't do it, no harm done, but I really don't like the idea of water getting in.
- Seating for 3 adults and 2 kids. At least in theory. If you look at the picture, you can clearly see that as you adjust seat by positioning it backwards, you are actually decreasing the sitting area behind that seat. It is OK if the kid behind you is small, but ...
- Steering linkage system is protected from damage since it is internal. However, if something hits the rudder, it can be damaged, of course.
- There are no fishing rods holders or holes - you will have to buy them separately or improvise them. Usually, when people fish from such small boats, they fish with single rod per person.
- This electric pedal boat comes with built-in 30 lb. thrust Minn-Kota electric trolling motor for cruising around. 30 pounds of thrust doesn't look much, but for such boat, it is more than enough. Electric motor can be raised or lowered, depending if it is used or not.
- Built-in cooler or storage area - great for keeping food, bait and similar items. Be sure to bring some frozen water to keep it cooler for longer.
- Boat has canopy for protection from the sun. Also, this canopy can be quickly lowered, which is very important when fishing using rods and reels.
- Paddle wheel is positioned between hulls. It is strong and relatively robust, so it will last for a long time. However, when in shallows, be sure to paddle slowly, since one never knows what lies beneath the sea weed.
- boat has battery compartment, but battery is usually not included. It is recommended to buy deep cycle marine battery - ordinary car batteries are not good for such usage. Recommended battery should be either a F24 or F27 RV Marine Deep Cycle 12V battery.
Note: F24 and F27 are group numbers and they define maximum size of the batteries in each group. F24 dimensions (LxWxH) are 11.13x6.60x9.25 inches (cca 28x17x24cm) and F27 dimensions are 12x6.63x9.06 inches (cca 30x17x23cm). Standard capacities are around 70-90Ah and this provides around 2-5 hours of operation. Of course, if you don't push the motor to it's maximum, battery can last much longer.
Few more notes:
If you are going for fishing on anchored position hundred or so meters from shore, you don't even need the battery - you have pedals, remember? However, if you like trolling near the shore, fully charged battery and Minn Kota trolling motor can be activated with simple switch. Operation is very quiet and trolling with short line is possible, especially if you are using live bait.
If you are going to fish anchored, be sure to have small anchor with some chain and enough rope. Although such small anchors are very light, they can damage the boat, so having dedicated box or heavy duty bag for anchor is highly recommended.
Be sure not to transport the boat with the battery installed, since bouncing of the battery during transport could cause cracks in the battery compartment and in the hull. Also, do not transport the boat with the seats in place, since they may bounce out of their positions. Anyway, be sure to read the manual before attempting anything with this boat and be sure to fill warranty registration.
Anyway, this little electric boat is not the cheapest around, but what you pay is what you get - relatively strong and durable boat, Minn Kota trolling motor, canopy, enough room for 2 adults with plenty of fishing gear and stable platform for fishing.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to follow Water Wheeler Electric ASL 5 Person Pedal Boat with Canopy Amazon link (link opens in the new window).