J5 Hyper V Tactical Flashlight is one of the best buy flashlights on the market. It has strong and durable aluminum body, single LED light source, 400 lumens maximum light output, several modes of operation, decent water resistance, adjustable zoom and several more features.
For its size, J5 Hyper V Tactical Flashlight has very good light output - 400 lumens maximum output. Maximum range of the focused light beam is up to 800 feet (~245 m).
There are three modes of operation - high, low and strobe light (for signaling and disorientating would be attackers or animals).
The J5 Hyper V LED Flashlight uses set of 3 (three) standard AAA batteries (which are not included) and gives couple of hours of use at maximum beam. To preserve the batteries, use low intensity mode, which is still rather strong and more than enough for simpler tasks at night when camping, fishing, hiking, hunting and similar.
J5 Hyper V comes with battery holder for three AAA batteries, but the flashlight accept range of the batteries, including:
- 18650 lithium 3.7V batteries - these batteries are 18mm in diameter and are 65 mm long, with the weight varying between the models. Actually, their diameter can be up to 19 mm and the length up to 68 mm. These batteries can have built-in protective circuitry and those batteries are known as 19670 or protected 18650 batteries.
- 2 x CR123A - CR123A has diameter of 17mm and is 34.5mm long. It can be primary battery (lithium) and deliver 3V or it can be rechargeable battery (lithium-ion) and deliver 3.6-3.7V.
- 2 x 16340 - 16340 battery has diameter of 16 mm and is 34 mm long and it is unprotected lithium ion rechargeable battery. Some manufacturers produce 'protected 16430 battery' and those batteries can be up to 36mm long. Often, 16340 battery is considered as 'rechargeable' CR123A battery.
Note: although manufacturer (link opens in the new window) claims that 'Working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent.' and people are using J5 Hyper V Tactical Flashlight with batteries other than 3xAAA, if you are using this flashlight only in emergencies and similar, go for good and tested, high quality primary AAA batteries, that have stand-by life of several years ahead. If you are going to use this battery on regular basis and you want to test rechargeable batteries, be sure to charge them using proper chargers.
J5 Hyper V is very compact flashlight:
- flashlight body is 1 inch (2.54 cm) wide and head is 1.25 inches (~3.2 cm) wide.
- flashlight length vary between 5 inches (~12.7 cm) and 5.25 inches (~13.3 cm). When the head of the flashlight is pulled out, the light beam is focused. To produce flood beam light, pull the head back.
- J5 Hyper V flashlight weighs around 3.7 ounces (~105 g) without batteries.
Obviously, J5 Hyper V is excellent companion on any outdoor trip, fishing included - it doesn't require much space and can be carried in the backpack, larger pocket or similar.
Due to the robust and strong body, J5 Hyper V is shock resistant, but the manufacturer doesn't state maximum drop height that the unit will tolerate. Also, flashlight has a waterproof 'O' ring, and the flashlight is claimed to be 'waterproof', but again, manufacturer doesn't state any IPX code - IMHO, the unit can withstand splashing water and rain, but does it qualify for IPX7 or even IPX8, it is not known.
Like most 'tactical' flashlights, J5 Hyper V comes with 'attack head'. Again, unit is sturdy and when in trouble and under attack, don't hesitate to use it, just be aware that such 'attack head' with its horns can make serious damage and cause even deadly injuries.
Can J5 Hyper V flashlights be used as defense against hungry bears and similar animals? Yes, they can, if they are mounted on at least 9 mm Glock/Beretta/Sig Sauer or similar or stronger gun with full metal jacket (FMJ) ammunition. And even with such ammunition, shot placement is critical ... Come on, be serious :) The only harmless defense against bears are bear repellent sprays, so if you are going to the area where they live and you plan to fish and hunt, be sure to have at least one such spray per person and even try one BEFORE going on the trip.
Long story short - J5 Hyper V Tactical Flashlight justifies its popularity with the good design and quality workmanship and materials. It has very acceptable price, but it doesn't come with the batteries - don't forget to order them, too. J5 Hyper V - excellent for any outdoors trip like fishing, hunting, camping, hiking etc. but also a very nice gift :)
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check J5 Hyper V Tactical Flashlight Amazon link (link opens in the new window).