BlizeTec Survival 5-in-1 Tactical Pocket Folding Knife is a palm size, versatile and affordable survival tool, great for many occasions like fishing, camping, hiking, hunting and for any outdoor activity. Even if you are not outdoor enthusiast, but want to be prepared for emergencies of any kind, BlizeTec Survival 5-in-1 Tactical Pocket Folding Knife is a great choice.
BlizeTec Survival 5-in-1 Tactical Pocket Folding Knife is pocket-size survival knife which comes packaged in the gift box.
Its main 5 key survival features are:
- drop-point blade with serrated saw - being pocket folding knife, weakest point of the construction is pivoting point of the blade - important to know when twisting the blade. Construction is good and strong, just can't be compared with thicker and heavier, full tang knives. Blade is sharp and durable, while serrated saw can be used to cut through thinner branches and similar material. Longer saw will do the job better, of course. This emphasize the importance of compromise in knives (tools!) like this. The ratio of serrated and non-serrated blade in this knife is - good.
- bright LED flashlight - LED flashlight is 6.5 mm in diameter and it provides plenty of light, given its size. Flashlight can be used while in the knife or it can be detached - flashlight is held in place via magnet. It uses four LR621 button cell batteries and in best conditions, they can provide 12 hours of light. LR621 means that it is alkaline (letter 'L'), rounded (letter 'R') battery, 6 mm (actually, 6.8 mm) in diameter (number '6'), 2.1 mm in height (last two digits '21'). Light strength is not stated, but it is around 35-40 lumens - respectable value for such small flashlight.
- magnesium alloy fire starter is also detachable and can be used to start a fire in emergencies. Personally - to be prepared to actually make such fire, it is important to try to start a fire using magnesium fire starter few times as a practice. To preserve knife's magnesium starter, use ordinary magnesium fire sterter.
- window breaker is often underestimated feature of knives and tools, but for a survival knife, it is simply a must have option, not just for breaking windows if required, but also for breaking and cracking many other things. When trying to break a window, blade should be folded. If it is not folded and something goes wrong, sharp blade (and serrated saw) can hurt you seriously. Again, it takes some practice to break a window with window breaker - go to the nearest car junkyard and practice by breaking few car windows from inside of the car.
- seatbelt cutter is also very important survival feature on knives like this. Cutter is sharp and it does its job well, but it also requires some practice. If you ever go to the car junkyard to test window breaker, test seatbelt cutter, too.
Note: if you ever find yourself in situation to actually use seatbelt cutter and window breaker, try to keep calm - easier said than done when adrenaline is rocketing sky high, but ...
To increase the resistance to corrosion, BlizeTec Survival 5-in-1 Tactical Pocket Folding Knife blade is made using stainless steel, while other, less stressed parts, are made using aluminum. Nonetheless, treat your knife as if it is made using 'common' carbon steel and it will last for a long time.
BlizeTec 5-in-1 knife is very light - it weighs only 5.46 ounces (~155g). When folded, knife is 5 inches (12.7 cm) long. Open knife is 8.5 inches (21.6 cm) long and the blade itself is 3.5 inches (8.9 cm) long. It is not the largest pocket knife around, but if you like outdoor trips, saving even few ounces of weight, can be important. Also, knife is light and small enough to be carried almost everywhere - camping, hiking, hunting, fishing ...
BlizeTec 5-in-1 survival knife doesn't come with spring assisted opening, but it is easily opened even in a hurry - when opened, blade is locked safely in its position and it is ready to be used.
Although made from stainless steel, the blade is additionally protected with black coating and, according to the manufacturer, it is not recommend for meat cutting or similar culinary usage.
This BlizeTec knife comes with lifetime warranty.
Long story short - BlizeTec 5-in-1 survival knife is highly recommended survival tool for every outdoor enthusiast and for people wanting to be ready in the case of emergencies, but don't want to carry heavy load around. Non serrated part of the blade is sharp, serrated part can cut through most materials, LED light is small and for its size very strong, magnesium fire starter does its job depending on ones skills and if required, seatbelt cutter and window breaker will help you get out of the car in the case of emergencies quickly, or at least, quickly enough. Due to black oxide coating of the blade, knife is not 'recommended' for food processing - many people have used it for this purpose in the wilderness and since the coating protects the blade, coating itself is strong and durable.
For more reviews and recommendations, check BlizeTec Survival 5-in-1 Tactical Pocket Folding Knife Amazon link (link opens in the new window).