Garmin Echo 550c Fishfinder (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Garmin Echo 550c Fishfinder is one of the best medium priced boat sonars. It has 5" (~13cm) wide display size with 640x480 resolution and 256 colors, 1900 feet (580 m) maximum depth in fresh water and 700 feet (210m) in saltwater, 120 degree viewing angle and many other features. This is something nice to have on any fishing boat :)
Garmin Echo 550c Fishfinder Specifications and Notes
- 5" (12.7cm) high-resolution color display
- HD-ID technology
- 500 W (RMS) transmit power
- Depths to 1,900 ft (580m) in fresh water and 700 feet in saltwater (210m)
- Beam width up to 120 degrees
- high level of detail on fish returns, structure and bottom contours
- includes Smooth Scaling technology - sonar remembers history as the unit changes depth ranges. It also feature the ability to rewind sonar history data
- echo 550c is very intuitive fishfinder. Installation is quick and easy using the quick-release tilt mount and transom-mount transducer included in the box
- it has around 0.5kg (1.1 pounds) and it is waterproof
Other features of this fishfinder: audible alarms, dual-frequency, dual-beam, split-screen zoom, Ultrascroll (displays fish targets at higher boat speeds), Fish Symbol ID (helps identify fish targets), AutoGain Technology (minimizes clutter, maximizes targets), adjustable depth line (measures depth of underwater objects), A-scope (real time display of fish passing through transducer beam), bottom lock (shows return from the bottom up), water temperature log and graph and water speed capable, operating frequency 200/77 kHz, input voltage range 10V - 28V etc.
In the box one can find:
Although this unit is simple and intuitive to mount and use, please, read documentation first - it can save lots of headaches later. And that is standard advice for this kind of equipment :)
Some of the accessories that can be purchased latter, if needed, include: tilted element transducers, transom mount transducers, trolling motor mount transducers, transducer accessories, mounts, cables, cases and covers, various adapters, water speed sensor etc.
Important note: when buying this or any similar unit, in order to get best results with your equipment, it is very important to have transducer optimized for material of your boat - wood, plastic, metal etc. Therefore, it is highly recommended to check Garmin's guide on transducers, instruments and sensors (link to this guide vary, but it can be found on Garmin web page easily).
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to follow Garmin Echo 550c Fishfinder Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Note: Garmin Echo 550c Fishfinder is discontinued by manufacturer.