Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon Fishing Line
Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon Fishing Line is a transparent fishing line that comes in numerous thicknesses and strengths and is suitable as both fishing line leader and as main fishing line.
Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line is made out of 100% fluorocarbon - with all pros and cons of fluorocarbon lines:
- it is almost invisible under water - great as a fishing line leader,
- it is relatively denser than water and sinks faster than nylon monofilament lines,
- it does not absorb moisture and it does not lose strength over time due to moisture - older lines lose strength due to various reasons, but not as fast as nylon monofilament lines,
- it has very good abrasion resistance when compared with nylon monofilament lines - don't even think to compare it with titanium or steel leader wires,
- it is very flexible, at least for a fluorocarbon line,
- line doesn't stretch as nylon mono lines.
Vanish comes in various dimensions - thickness and test pounds are given in the following table:
Line comes in several packages, too:
so it is rather easy to choose the best option according to your needs.
Color - line comes only as clear line and is good for practically all situations, since its line light refraction factor determines its invisibility under the water, not the line color.
Knot resistance - could be better in many situations. For this line use knots that are recommended for fluoro lines like Palomar knot, San Diego Jam, the Double Pitzen knot, Double Uni knot etc. It is recommended to use a droplet of super glue when tying the line - note that 8 pound and stronger lines are relatively stiff.
If you use this line as the main line, note that line uncoils from spinning reel rather fast and this can cause problems.
Long story short - good fluorocarbon fishing line that comes at reasonable price. It requires attention when making knots, but practically all fluoro lines have this issues due to line stiffness.
Personally, use it as a good leader line and change it when required.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon Amazon link (link opens in the new window).