Shimano Stradic CI4+ Reel
Shimano Stradic CI4+ Reel is one of the best buy, universal, lightweight spinning reels on the market today. Shimano Stradic CI4+ (or sometimes written as Shimano Stradic CI4 Plus) comes with several improvements when compared with previous Shimano Stradic CI4 Reels.
As with many medium priced reels, Shimano Stradic CI4+ comes with many features: Ultra-lightweight CI4+ Frame, Sideplate and Rotor Construction, X-Ship, Paladin Gear Durability Enhancement, Propulsion Line Management System, Propulsion Spool Lip, SR One-Piece Bail Wire, Power Roller III, Redesigned Bail Trip, S-Arm Cam, Aero Wrap II Oscillation, SR 3D Gear, SR Handle, SR One-Piece Bail Wire, S A-RB Ball Bearings, Aluminum Spool, S-Rotor, S-Guard, S-Arm Cam, Machined Aluminum Handle, Direct Drive Mechanism (Thread In Handle Attachment), Round EVA Handle Grip, WP Drag (Waterproof Drag), Maintenance Port, Fluidrive II, Floating Shaft, Dyna-Balance, Super Stopper II, Repairable Clicker, Approved for use in Saltwater, Rated for use with Mono, Fluorocarbon and PowerPro lines.
Of course, one doesn't have to know what all those technologies mean, except that:
- this is very lightweight reel that comes in several versions and sizes:
|Model||Max Drag||Weight||Line Retrieve Per Crank||Line Capacity - Mono (yard/lb)||Bearings||Gear Ratio|
|STCI41000FAML||4 lb (1.8 kg)||5.8 oz (~165g)||29" (74 cm)||-||6B + 1R||6.0:1|
|STCI41000FA||7 lb (3.2kg)||6 oz (~170g)||29" (74 cm)||270/2, 140/4, 110/6||6B + 1R||6.0:1|
|STCI42500FA||15 lb (6.8kg)||7 oz (~200g)||34" (86 cm)||200/6, 140/8, 120/10||6B + 1R||6.0:1|
|STCI43000FA||15 lb (6.8kg)||7 oz (~200g)||35" (89 cm)||230/6, 170/8, 140/10||6B + 1R||6.0:1|
|STCI44000FA||20 lb (9.1kg)||9 oz (~255g)||37" (94 cm)||240/8, 200/10, 160/10||6B + 1R||5.8:1|
- it is very balanced reel with very smooth operation,
- CI4 is short for reinforced Carbon Fiber. CI4 Plus is the next generation of Shimano's CI4 material and it is stronger and hence lighter than previous version of such material and because it doesn't contain metal, it is impervious to rust. Note: these reels do contain metal parts (ball bearings, aluminum handle etc), but CI4+ parts contain no metal.
- CI4 Plus reels are saltwater approved. Just be sure to rinse them with fresh water from time to time and dry them with a cloth.
- maintenance and operation is really very simple. When you get it, read the manual - of course, it is not obligatory, but it will familiarize you with the new reel.
- with smooth operation, light weight, reel is suitable even for beginners - maybe little bit to expensive for a beginner, but a great gift for both beginners and advanced fishermen.
Capacity of the reel could be perhaps better, but if you do need more line on the spool, use larger CI4+ model and/or use stronger, but thinner fishing lines (braids!), just be sure to set the drag to lower values when using braids (braids are not elastic lines) - after hook sets, increase the drag as required.
Note: A small amount of monofilament line on the reel as 'backing' is highly recommended.
Price of this reel - well, what you pay is what you get. There are similar reels that are cheaper, but also similar reels that are much more expensive. Reel is strong and durable, easy to use, great for casting bait, retrieving fish, low maintenance etc. If you fish for hours per day, you will gladly pay few more dollars/euros for lighter reel that does job well.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to follow Shimano Stradic STCI4+ Reel Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
For more on fishing reels, feel free to check Types Of Fishing Reels article.