NOCO GENIUS10 10-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Battery Charger
NOCO GENIUS10 is an advanced multi-voltage, multi-chemistry, fully-automatic battery charger and maintainer that comes with many new and innovative features, allowing the single battery charger to be used for charging different types of 6V and 12V batteries.
Also, it is able to charge different types of battery chemistries (wet, Gel-Cell, AGM, lithium) almost regardless of their condition, it can be used as a 12V DC power source, it can repair (or at least it can try) deeply discharged batteries (down to 0 volts!), etc. And thanks to its advanced safety features, NOCO GENIUS10 is very safe to use year long for both the user and the batteries.
NOCO GENIUS10 Features and Specifications
NOCO GENIUS10 is a rather lightweight and compact battery charger with physical dimensions of (H x W x D) 7.1 x 3.6 x 2.3 inches (180 x 92 x 59 mm) and a weight of 3.33 pounds (1.5 kg).
NOCO GENIUS10 is intended for charging the batteries in the 20 - 230 Ah range, although it is much better suited for the batteries in the 40 - 120 Ah range. Also, as a battery maintainer, it is suitable for the lead-acid batteries of all sizes.
The unit features 14 AWG DC battery cables that are 77 inches (195 cm) long, including clamps. AC cables are 18 AWG and they are 71.7 inches (182 cm) long.
Its safety features include Short-Circuit protection, Open-Circuit protection, Overheating, Overcharging, Spark-Proof, and Reverse Polarity.
NOCO GENIUS10 features an IP65 water/dust rating and it comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
The unit is intended for 6V and 12V lead-acid automotive, marine, and industrial batteries, including wet/flooded, Gel-Cell, AGM, and lithium-ion batteries, regardless if the batteries are designed as starting, dual-purpose, or deep-cycle batteries.
NOCO GENIUS10 features an integrated thermal sensor, which detects the ambient temperature and adjust the charging process to eliminate over-charging in hot weather and under-charging in cold weather - operating temperature range of the NOCO GENIUS10 is -4° to 104°F (-20° to 40°C), while storage temperature is -22° to 140°F (-30° to 60°C).
NOCO GENIUS10 operates as an intelligent multi-phase battery charger, battery maintainer, trickle charger, battery desulphator and it can be used as a 12V DC power supply and can be used to recover 'almost' dead batteries:
- 12V Charging Mode is used for charging of the wet/flooded cells, enhanced wet/flooded and Gel-Cells batteries,
- 12V AGM Charging Mode is used for charging Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) lead-acid batteries,
- 12V Lithium Charging Mode is used for charging lithium-ion batteries with the Battery Management System (BMS). Note: if the lithium battery with BMS is being charged with the charging mode intended for lead-acid batteries, the best thing that may happen is that the BMS cut-off the battery from the charger and the charger to signal a connection/charging error. The worst-case? Fried BMS, overheated lithium-ion battery, fire perhaps ... That is why proper charging mode and safety features of NOCO GENIUS10 and similar battery chargers are so important.
- 6V Charging Mode is used for charging of the 6V wet/flooded, enhanced wet/flooded and Gel-Cell batteries,
- 6V AGM Charging Mode is used for charging 6V AGM batteries,
- FORCE MODE is a new charging mode - it is used to charge the batteries below 1 volt. Since this is a very special mode that should not be used if absolutely not required, all charge mode LEDs flash in order to alert the user about the chosen charging mode.
- 12V Supply Mode is used when the 12V DC power supply is needed.
- 12V Repair Mode is used to repair old, idle, stratified, or even damaged or sulphated lead-acid batteries.
Mode selection is done quickly using the MODE button:
Note: NOCO GENIUS10 is simple and safe to use advanced battery charger. Nonetheless, when the unit arrives, be sure to read the manual thoroughly and get accustomed to your new battery charger.
NOCO GENIUS10 automatically detects the battery sulphation and acid stratification and tries to restore the lost battery performance and capacity, extending the battery operating life. However, using the Repair Mode, the user may 'force' the battery charger to try to repair the battery.
By using FORCE MODE, the user practically overrides many safety features and the built-in voltage sensor, allowing the battery charger to try to charge the battery discharged completely down to 0V (zero volts!). If the battery accepts the initial charging, FORCE MODE should be stopped as soon as the voltage increases to several volts (or at least +1 volt), after which the user should select the charging mode according to the battery type (AGM for example) and let the battery charger continue with fully automatic charging (and with all the safety features being turned ON again!).
NOCO GENIUS10 Charging Times
NOCO GENIUS10 is advertised as the battery charger suitable for the batteries in 20 - 230 Ah range.
Personally, it should be used for the batteries in 40 - 120 Ah range, because batteries with the capacity of less than 40 Ah may have issues with too fast charging and the batteries with the capacities of more than 120 Ah will be charged for too long. IMHO, of course.
When the batteries are discharged down to 50% DoD, estimated charging times are:
- 40 Ah battery: ~3 hours,
- 80 Ah battery: ~6 hours,
- 100 Ah battery: ~7.5 hours,
- 120 Ah battery: ~9 hours.
As one can see, charging times are not simply discharged capacity (Ah) divided by max. charger current (10 Amps for this model) - when the charger is connected, it analyzes the battery first and go through several charging phases in order to charge the battery fully.
Also, if the 230 Ah battery is discharged down to 50% DoD, NOCO GENIUS10 will need ~17-18 hours to charge it completely. If You do have one or more of BCI Group 4D, 6D, and 8D Batteries, go for 25-30 Amps battery charger, like NOCO Genius G26000 12V/24V 26 Amp Pro-Series Battery Charger and Maintainer (Amazon link, link opens in the new window).
Long Story Short: NOCO GENIUS10 is well designed advanced battery charger built to be tough and durable. It comes with a 3-year limited warranty, which is an excellent warranty for a tool that is going to be used in rather harsh conditions, not just on the workshop benches.
Thanks to its safety features and multiple charging modes, NOCO GENIUS is a safe and versatile battery charger and one of the most popular models in its class.
The charger is easy and intuitive to use - nonetheless, when the unit arrives, reading the manual first is highly recommended.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check NOCO GENIUS10 10-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Battery Charger Amazon link (link opens in the new window).